Over 40 million Americans relocate every year. That explains why the internet is filled with horror stories of how soul-crushing moving can be. Roughly 45% of movers consider it as one of the most stressful events of their lives.
Let’s not get carried away, though. Moving may be inevitable, but a soul-sucking experience isn’t. With the right strategies in place, you can make the big day manageable, if not a little enjoyable!
Here are the top three ways to save time when relocating, so you can focus your energy on making the transition a happy memory for your loved ones.
1. Put Plans into Action Before the Big Day
Waiting until the last week or day before the big move is a huge mistake. It’s a surefire recipe for overwhelm and all sorts of negative feelings. If you don’t want to be putting out one fire after another, here are some steps you can start taking today:
● Update Address and Contact Information. Examples include your bank, doctor, postal company, family vet, and any subscriptions where your updated address is important.
● Schedule Cancellations and Re-orders. Not only do you need to get your phone, cable, Internet, utilities, magazines, and any other subscriptions canceled, but you also need to apply for the same services at your new address in advance. This way you won’t be out of service when you get there.
● Get Rid of Excess. You probably have a bunch of items serving as make-shift dust collectors in your storage rooms, garage, and pretty much every area of your home. So use this opportunity to get rid of anything that’s not necessary. You can either put these items up on a yard sale or donate them.
● Make Improvements. Whether it’s cleaning, painting, or any other improvement, you want to get these done before you move into your new place. You know, when it’s empty and free of any obstacles.
The goal here is to spread out the entire process over as many days as possible. For best results, you should put smart goals into place for every week of the month leading up to your big move day.
You don’t want to deal with all this on what’s considered to be one of the most stressful days in most people’s lives.
2. Separate the Essentials
Imagine finally letting out a sigh of relief after a chaotic day of moving, only to find yourself scrambling for the essentials. These are things like your toothbrush, chargers, toiletries, and any medications.
This is why you should pack a separate bag full of essentials. Apart from the essentials mentioned earlier, you should also consider packing a first-aid kit, any important documents, and some snacks.
That last one is particularly important because you don’t want to add hunger to the stress of moving. More so if you have kids. The little ones will already be stressed with the big change. So the moment they get signs of hunger, they’ll turn into little monsters ready for a riot.
Trust us, you won’t find the cuteness of their typical tantrums in this scenario. And who can blame them? Mixing hunger with stress is tough even for adults.
3. Hire Professionals Wherever You Can
Don’t be like the CEO who tries doing everything on her own but then burns out spectacularly. Your time, energy, and mental energy—not to mention your loved ones—are worth far more than what it costs to hire some help.
This means hiring a team of professional cleaners for all your move-in and move-out cleaning needs. Packing and unpacking, in particular, are best left to professionals as the cost of mistakes is too high.
You can also hire a Montgomery County landscaping company to turn your new lawn into a lush green relaxing spot for your family. And if you’re selling your old place, you should consider having a realtor take care of the entire process for you. In fact, you can get a free home value estimate from a professional realtor to get started today.
Not only can a team of professionals save you time and energy, but they can do all these things infinitely better than most homeowners. They’ve put their thousands of hours of practice into mastering every aspect of their services.
Of course, managing all these different teams of professionals can be a challenge of its own. That’s why you should consider working with one of the McCurdy brand of companies.
All our different businesses are tied together under a single management. So by working with us, you won’t have to deal with the hassle of coordinating operations between all the professionals helping you transition into the new chapter of your life.